The Public Service Obligation Contract between the National Transport Authority is a ten year contract which commenced on 1st December 2009. The contract outlines the performance requirements that Iarnród Éireann must meet in return for the payment of a public subsidy. In 2013 the subsidy payment is €127m. A proportion of that payment is withheld and is only paid if the performance targets are met by Iarnród Éireann.
The original contract and schedules are available here:
National Transport Authority and Iarnród Éireann – Public Service Contract
The contract is made of the following sections:
- Schedule A – Services & service levels to be provided by the operator
- Schedule B – Performance Obligations
- Schedule C – Reporting requirements
- Schedule D – Compensation
- Schedule E – Framework Grant Agreement
The Authority has previously amended the performance obligations (Schedule B) and the current requirements are available here.
The contract provides for the approval by the Authority of any service changes outlined in Schedule A of the contract.