Smarter Travel Initiatives
Smarter Travel Initiatives or Mobility Management initiatives are a broad collection of actions which support people to choose more sustainable travel options, including walking, cycling, public transport, car-sharing or reducing travel through the use of technology or linked trips.
Sustainable travel can have significant benefits for both individuals and workplaces/ schools in terms of health and wellbeing, costs and time associated with travel, and environmental improvements.
Sustainable travel is also beneficial for the state, in terms of reduced congestion and emissions and exploiting investment in sustainable transport infrastructure and promoting a more active and healthier population.
Smarter Travel Initiatives are often site-specific, for example Workplace Travel Plans or School Travel Plans. However they can also have city-wide, regional or even national application like car-sharing, car clubs or public awareness campaigns. These initiatives can support, and be supported by, transport infrastructure.
Smarter Travel Initiatives are outlined in government transport policy “Smarter Travel: A New Transport Policy for Ireland 2009-2020”.
The National Transport Authority has developed the following smarter travel initiatives:
- Smarter Travel Workplaces and Smarter Travel Campus – involving over 120 of the largest employers and third level institutions in the State.
- Green Schools Travel – which is delivered by An Taisce as part of the Green-Schools programme of environmental management.
- Community Travel Plan Pilot Project – Adamstown – delivered by South Dublin County Council
- Carsharing.ie – the free national carsharing website for individuals, workplaces or groups looking to set up a carsharing scheme.
- Toolkit for school travel
- Workplace Travel Plans – a Guide for Implementers
- Achieving Effective Workplace Travel Plans – Guidance for Local Authorities
- The Department of Transport Tourism and Sport is also supporting a pilot Smarter Travel Areas project in Dungarvan, Westport and Limerick City – to read more click here Smarter Travel Demonstration Project Fund
- Smarter Travel in UCD – Connecting your Campus