The National Transport Authority is responsible for public transport investment in the Greater Dublin Area. In addition, the National Transport Authority also administers two grant programmes on behalf of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, being the Regional Cities Public Transport Programme and the Accessibility Programme.
GDA Investment Programme
The overall GDA Investment Programme is subdivided into four sub-programmes. These are:
- Heavy Rail Sub-programme
- Light Rail Sub-programme;
- Bus/BRT Sub-programme; and
- Integration, Sustainable Transport Measures & Support Sub-programme.
The Heavy Rail investment programme comprises funding to Irish Rail in relation to various rail projects. Details of the various heavy rail projects underway can be viewed on their website at www.irishrail.ie.
The Light Rail Sub-programme provides funding to Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) for the development of Luas projects. Details of the various light rail projects under the remit of the TII can be viewed on their website at www.tii.ie.
As part of the Bus/BRT programme we procure new buses on an ongoing basis.
The “Integration, Sustainable Transport Measures & Support Sub-programme” facilitates investment in the various cycling/walking, bus, safety and traffic management projects throughout the region.
Regional Cities and Accessibility Programme
The National Transport Authority administers, on behalf of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, the Department’s funding of accessibility projects and sustainable transport investment in the Regional Cities of Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford.
The National Transport Authority has published a number of guidance documents to assist in the management of its capital programme. These are:
- Eligible Expenditure Guidelines for Projects funded by the NTA
- Guidelines for the Management of Public Transport Investment Projects delivered by Conventional Procurement
- Guidelines for the Management of Public Transport Investment Projects delivered by Public Private Partnerships
- Project Management Guidelines for Projects funded by the National Transport Authority (up to €20 million in value)
- Cost Management Guidelines for Public Transport Investment Projects
The accessibility programme operated by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and administered on its behalf by the National Transport Authority, focuses on implementing the Department’s “Sectoral Plan for Accessible Transport under the Disability Act 2005”.