The National Transport Authority (NTA) has entered into a Public Service Obligation Contract with Iarnród Éireann for the provision of rail passenger services in Ireland. We review Iarnród Éireann’s performance in this regard, and publish quarterly performance reports.
The contract outlines the performance requirements that Iarnród Éireann must meet in return for the payment of a public subsidy. A proportion of that subsidy payment is withheld and is only paid if the performance targets are met by Iarnród Éireann. The current contract with Iarnród Éireann is available below.
The original contract and schedules are available here:
- National Transport Authority and Iarnród Éireann – Public Service Contract 2019 to 2029
- Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Contract Schedules
The contract is divided into the following sections:
- Schedule A – Services and Service Levels to be Provided by the Operator
- Schedule B – Performance Obligations
- Schedule C – Reporting Requirements
- Schedule D – Compensation
- Schedule E – Framework Grant Agreement
The Authority has previously amended the performance obligations (Schedule B) and the current requirements are available here.
The contract provides for the approval by the Authority of any service changes outlined in Schedule A of the contract. The current Schedule A is here.
Iarnród Éireann is required to report quarterly on their performance against the targets set out in the Public Service Obligation Contract.