EUROPEAN MOBILITY WEEK is the European Commission’s flagship awareness-raising campaign on sustainable urban mobility.
The main event takes place from 16-22 September each year, culminating in the popular Car-Free Day. Local authorities are encouraged to use the main week to try out innovative planning measures, promote new infrastructure and technologies, measure air quality, and get feedback from the public.
With more towns and cities joining every year, and with its huge media appeal, the campaign is widely recognised as a driving force towards sustainable urban mobility in Europe and beyond.
It promotes behavioural change in favour of active mobility, public transport, and other clean, intelligent transport solutions.
The 2023 annual theme is ‘Save Energy’.
Car Free Day will take place Friday 22nd September. (in Cork city on 23rd)
- The Wexford County Council is hosting Public eBike sharing Day – with free bike rides on Car free Day;
- as well as Gorey Town promoting Active Travel
- Navan’s Cycling Initiative – Engaging with Local Residents on Active Travel – at St. Paul’s Primary School, Navan
- Cavan carries out a Car-Free Day 2023 and closes off one or more streets to traffic, and opens it to pedestrians, cyclists and public transport.
- UCD Cycleteque for Schools
- Plantform – Online Plant and Fresh Produce Marketplace combined with gardening and nutrition advice – in Malahide, Co.Dublin
- Walk to School Competition
- Bike Disco (Sep 22nd)
- Free NOW dublinbikes one day pass
- Make Way Day
- Cargo bike try out day, Sep 24
Fingal organises activities during EUROPEANMOBILITYWEEK 2023, taking into account the annual theme.
- Wander & Talk Sessions
- All Day School Street, Rush
- Bike Disco
- Car-free day
- Movement in Motion – in Lettekrenny, by Slim R Us
- Promote European Mobility Week throughout County Kildare on our social media platforms and through local media, in schools and the community
- 20 September: 1. WOW Day – Walk On Wednesday! Promote countywide Walk on Wednesday with Primary and Post-Primary Schools
2. CIVITAS Initiative – Promote Sustainable and Urban Mobility options
- 21 September
1. Save Energy on your Journey – Promote a more active and energy saving options for your journey (E-Bikes, Scooter, cycling, Walking and Local Link)
2. ROADPOL – ROADPOL Safety Day with Kildare County Council, An Garda Síochána & Road Safety Authority
- 22 September
Car Free Day – Encourage Kildare motorists to participate in ‘Car Free Day’ by ditching the car and using alternative, sustainable and active travel modes.
- Promotional Campaign to switch to sustainable modes across social media platform
- Kilkenny Bike Library :- E-Bike loans for a very low-cost to allow people to try before they buy
- Community Cycling Programme: Kilkenny Council has engaged a community cycling tutor to work with communities to deliver cycle training and to support a shift to cycling in communities. This programme is funded by Healthy Ireland.
- E-Bike Shared Schemes – Operational for 12 months, now offering BOLT commercial for employers, Free trips for Car Free Day on 22nd of September
- Kilkenny City Schools Cycle – Mayor Joe Malone is inviting school children from across Kilkenny to join with him for a school cycle for Car Free Day on the 22nd September
- Cork City Council will be participating in a Walking Festival, the aim of which is to normalise walking and highlight the walkability of the city, particularly the city centre.
- 23rd Sep will also have Car Free city centre
- Limerick City and County Council (Limerick) organises activities during EUROPEANMOBILITYWEEK 2023, taking into account the annual theme.
- Encourage motorists to participate in ‘Car Free Day’ by ditching the car and using alternative, sustainable and active travel modes.
For a list of events in your area, check out the website here: https://mobilityweek.eu
TFI Smarter Travel is a national voluntary behaviour change programme, supporting employers and third level institutions to implement voluntary Travel Plans.