Public Transport Services Overview
The National Transport Authority (NTA) is the transport authority for the Greater Dublin Area and the public transport licensing agency for Ireland.
It is involved in the supply of various public transport services in Ireland, such as:
- Contractor for the Public Service Obligation (PSO) contracts – Iarnród Éireann, Dublin Bus, Go-Ahead Ireland, Bus Éireann.
- Subcontracting with the Luas service, this is contracted on our behalf by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII).
- The licensing authority in relation to commercial bus services and the small public service vehicle industry – taxis, hackney and limousines.
Transport for Ireland
Transport for Ireland (TFI) was developed by the National Transport Authority to promote and coordinate the provision of public transport in Ireland.
Detailed information on each individual transport operator is still available on their own website.
TFI is a “one stop shop” for public transport information, helping public transport users access information on all aspects of travel by using the following apps:
- National Journey Planner – helps people plan their journeys, using public transport, walking or cycling. iPhone App: Appstore Android App: Google Play
- Real Time Passenger Information – gives you real time arrivals information for train, bus and tram services throughout Ireland. Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann, Go-Ahead Ireland, DART, Iarnród Éireann and Luas are all on the App. iPhone App: Appstore Android App: Google Play
- TFI Leap Card – is a convenient way to pay for your public transport in Ireland. It is available in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Athlone, Sligo and Wexford.
- All you need to know about taxis, walking and cycling in Ireland.
For more information, please visit Transport for Ireland.