Leap Top-up App enhancement goes live
The latest version of National Transport Authority’s Leap Top-Up app goes live this week, with several innovative features being rolled out.
- Ticket Sales – Customers can now purchase tickets directly via their app, without having to visit a retail outlet
- Email receipts for top-ups and ticket purchases to ensure greater clarity
- Detailed Ticket Information Screens
- Detailed Card Information Screens
NTA said: “The app has been a resounding success, and we want to make sure that it continues to meet people’s needs and expectations.
The enhancements are being introduced in response to feedback from customers, and we believe they will improve the functionality of the app in a meaningful way.
It is clear to us that the easier and more convenient we can make public transport, the more people will use it. Innovations such as Leap Card, the top-up app and our journey planner app do precisely that.
We saw where last year, the numbers of people using subsidised public transport services provided by Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann, and Luas increased by 4.4% and we want that trend to continue.
That is why all of our apps undergo a continuous process of enhancement and improvement on an ongoing basis.”
- Total Downloads/Installs: 138,000
- The average volume of total monthly top-ups on the app in 2016 was 66,982.
- In the month of March this year, there were 154,700 top-ups performed on the app.
- The average value of monthly total top-ups on the app in 2016 was €875,469.
- In the month of March this year, the value of top-ups performed on the app was €1,960,379.
- The total value of top-ups made on the app, up to 31st March this year, was €15,927,200.
Since 2016, Leap Card users with Near Field Communications (NFC)-enabled Android phones can check their card balance and instantly top-up their card with travel credit or collect pre-purchased tickets, including TaxSaver tickets, onto their Leap Card – all by touching their card against their phones.
Leap Top-Up App uses NFC technology to communicate directly between the phone and the Leap Card.
This new enhancement will be particularly useful to Leap Card users who most regularly travel by bus as, until now, they have had to detour to a shop to upload credit or ticket products bought earlier online.
Any Leap Card holder with an NFC-enabled Android smartphone with a Google Play account can download the Leap Top-Up App.
In addition, people with the App on their phones can check a friend’s Leap Card Balance for them, allow them to collect a ticket or pay for a friend’s Leap Card top-up, instantly, and in their own time.
Apple has not yet decided to allow access to NFC technology by third parties. If and when they do, the National Transport Authority plans to develop this App on iOS for iPhone owners.
- Leap Card Top-ups
- Transaction History
- Stored Payment Card details for easy top-ups