The July Jobs Stimulus Plan was announced by Government on 23rd July 2020. The package of measures was designed to stimulate a jobs-led recovery and build economic confidence while continuing to manage the impact of Covid-19.
As part of the Stimulus Plan, an allocation of €52 million was made available to local authorities in the Greater Dublin Area and the metropolitan areas of Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford for eligible projects to support pedestrian and cyclist movement and enhance accessibility. An equivalent funding programme is in place through the Department of Transport for all other local authorities, including the non-metropolitan areas of Limerick and Waterford counties.
The funding will support local authorities’ response to Covid-19 challenges and assist with their work to equip local communities and businesses with improved walking and cycling infrastructure. The funding will also allow for changes to traffic management arrangements to facilitate the reallocation of overall road space to improve facilities and safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
Measures include but are not limited to the following:
- Resurfacing and relining of roads/streets (note – the replacement of road markings should include consideration of cycling);
- Reconstruction/renewal of defective footpaths or cycle tracks;
- Provision of new or widened footpaths or cycle tracks;
- Provision of cycle parking;
- Conversion of hard shoulders on wide roads to cycle tracks (greyways);
- Improved crossing facilities for pedestrians/cyclists including raised surfaces, zebra crossings and signalised crossings;
- Closing roads to vehicles, except for access only;
- Dishing of footpaths at junctions, raised pedestrian crossings, and reducing road width at crossing points;
- Reducing the speed limit and/or introducing a “Slow Zone”;
- Pedestrian/cycle bridge rehabilitation works; and
- Design work in respect of the provision of a future pedestrian/cycle bridge.
The above are just some examples submitted by local authorities to the National Transport Authority (NTA) for consideration for funding in 2020 under this stimulus programme for Active Travel Measures projects.