TISS comprises the Real-Time Passenger Information (RTPI) and National Journey Planner systems, which underpin the provision of dynamic public transport information to customers through apps, websites and on-street displays. As new public transport services are introduced and changes to existing services are made, the Authority’s TISS are updated to ensure the provision of accurate information to passengers.
The Authority provides public transport service and real-time information through a number of channels, including:
- Stop specific timetables and route diagrams posted at bus stops, and tram stations;
- Electronic on-street real time departure displays at selected bus stops and key interchanges (c.800 nationally);
- TFI mobile phone applications and websites showing planned and real time travel information across the networks. Including;
- TFI ‘National Journey Planner’ app and website
- TFI ‘Real-time Information’ app
- Cycle Journey Planner
- Additionally all public transport service and real-time information is shared with third party channels such as Google Maps, HERE Maps, Apple Maps and the open data community. In 2020 this data format was upgraded to a General Transit Feed Specification – Real-time (GTFS-R) feed which in effect has facilitated increased third party consumption and broader use of real time transport data.
RTPI on-street displays provide service departure information. Each RTPI unit displays a live countdown time in minutes for each departure expected from a particular stop. All RTPI displays also have the ability to display service disruption information which is managed by fleet dispatchers, traffic controllers and An Garda Síochána.