Amend an Existing Licence
If you already have an existing public bus passenger service licence, you must apply to amend the licence before any changes to the service can be implemented.
This includes the addition or removal of any stops, or any changes to the route.
When considering an application for the grant or amendment of a licence, the Authority under the PTR Act, 2009 and the pursuant Guidelines on the Licensing of Public Bus Passenger Services, takes into consideration a number of criteria. Please see Section 5 of the Guidelines for further details.
It is advisable that you familiarise yourself with these criteria so as to present your application in the best way possible.
Please provide as much detailed information as you can about the service you intend to provide. For example:
- The market it will service
- How it will add value for public transport users
- Any information you have regarding the number of potential passengers.
- To demonstrate that there is demand for your proposed service you should include any documentation, such as passenger questionnaires, evidence of new or expanding passenger pools (businesses, universities, shopping centres, housing estates) along the proposed route, requests from local businesses which support your application
- How it differs from existing public transport services
- Information about your vehicle(s) or services accessibility to people with disabilities
Prior to application you will need:
- Proof of your Tax Cleared Status, from the Revenue Commissioners
- A valid Road Passenger Transport Operators Licence or a valid European Community Licence, both of which are issued by the Department of Transport
For a complete and valid application to amend a public bus passenger service licence, you must supply:
- Completed NTA amendment form
- Appropriate amendment fee
- A complete timetable for proposed service
- A complete fare table
- A verification number to demonstrate your tax cleared status
- A complete map of the proposed route (if the route is being changed)
- Maps clearly showing each new individual stop, if new stops are being requested. If they are Dublin Bus or Bus Éireann stops, please note the stop number, if available, on the timetable.
You may also include any of the following documentation.
Inclusion at the application stage will greatly speed up the process. If the licence is offered, they may be required later in the process if not submitted.
- Stop approval from either the land owner or relevant road authority. This is very every stop where passenger board or disembark the bus
- A copy of a valid Insurance for all vehicles proposed to operate the service
- A copy of a valid Public Service Vehicle (PSV) for all vehicles proposed to operate service
- Vehicle livery description (a picture is sufficient)
- A copy of the Certificate of Road-worthiness for all vehicles proposed to operate the service.
When can I start?
When an application for a licence or an amendment is made, you must wait for the licence or licence amendment to be granted by the Authority before you start.
The application for the new licence or the application to amend an existing licence does not grant any rights to provide the public bus passenger service while it is under consideration by the Authority.
This would be in contravention of the PTR Act, 2009.
In other words, you cannot commence a public bus passenger service or change the licensed service you already provide without a licence being granted by the Authority.
If an offer for a licence is made, you will still need to provide some documents before you can start.
An offer is not a licence.
What is offered to you by the Authority may be different to what you applied for. This will be explained to you at this stage, for example an offered timetable. Accepted of a licence must be made in writing. An offer is indicative and not legally binding, as the granting of a licence is conditional on receipt of any outstanding documentation and/or payments. This will be notified to the applicant.
Please see the Authority’s Guidelines for the Licensing of Public Bus Passenger Services and the Brief Guide Public Bus Passenger Services for more information.
The Application Form is available to view and download here.