Applications for renewal of a licence must be submitted to the Authority at least 42 days / six weeks before the expiry date on the licence.
Only Regular, Specific Targeted or Demand Responsive licence categories can be renewed.
If the public bus passenger service is not operating exactly as licensed, an amendment application must be submitted at least 10 weeks prior to the expiry date on the licence.
As per section 16(3) of the Public Transport Regulation Act 2009, the Authority may refuse to renew a licence if:
- There have been repeated minor breaches
- One or more serious breaches of the conditions of the licence
- If the licence holder has been convicted of an offence related to provision of bus services under PTR Act 2009 or other relevant legislation
If an application for a renewal is not made in full compliance with the above requirements, the Authority will notify the licence holder of a final date for receipt of the completed renewal application.
The Authority will not consider the application for renewal if the full application is not received on or before that date, and the licence will expire on the date.
How to renew your licence
Checklist for renewal:
Licence Renewal will be carried out in accordance with the Authority’s Guidelines for the Licensing of Public Bus Passenger Services and Section 16 of the Public Transport Regulation Act, 2009 as soon as all of the relevant documentation has been received in respect of the licence, namely:
- A completed Renewal Form.
- A completed Statement of Compliance.
- The appropriate renewal fee.
- Copy of valid RPTOL/ Community Licence.
- Copy of valid PSV licences for all vehicles being used to provide the service (including all sub-contractors).
- Copy of valid insurance for all vehicles being used to provide the service (including sub-contractors).
- Proof of your Tax Cleared Status, from the Revenue Commissioners.
- Copy of Certificate of Roadworthiness for all vehicles being used to provide the services (including sub-contractors).
- Confirmation that the service to be renewed is identical to the service currently being operated.
- Evidence that the service is currently in operation (e.g. up–to–date website, letter from An Garda Síochána in the district where the service operates etc.)
- A completed compliance form that confirms that the licence holder has complied with all the conditions attached to the Licence – Note: the Authority may require further proofs of compliance, e.g. AVL data as proof of operational timings.
If sub-contracting, please also include:
- Copy of valid signed copy of the sub-contracting agreement
- Copy of valid sub-contractor RPTOL/ Community Licence
- Copy of valid sub-contractor Tax Clearance verification details
NOTE: It is essential that all of the documentation supplied with your renewal application is valid i.e. in date. If any of the documentation supplied will be invalid at the time of your licence expiry date, you must supply updated, valid documentation prior to your licence expiry date.
General notes in relation to Licence Renewal
- Renewed licences will be valid for 3 years;
- Services which are not identical to the previous licence cannot be renewed;
- Any required amendments must be applied for separately and will incur a separate amendment fee to your renewal fee;
- Your timetable must be in the correct format;
- It is imperative that all of the documentation supplied with your renewal application is valid i.e. in date. If any of the documentation supplied will be invalid at the time of your licence expiry date, you must supply updated, valid documentation prior to your licence expiry date. If this is not supplied, your licence will not be renewed;
- Incomplete renewal applications will not be processed and will be returned;
- If a licence is not renewed or if complete renewal documentation is not supplied within the timeframe notified to you by the Authority, the licence will lapse, as per Section 16 2(b) of the Public Transport Regulation Act, 2009. This will not preclude any Operator from applying for the same or similar routes in the future.
- If a lapsed licence is part of the Free Travel Scheme, it will be removed from the FT Scheme and any subsequent applications may not be eligible for inclusion in the Scheme. Queries regarding the operation of the FT Scheme should be directed to the following email address: FreeTravelQueries@welfare.ie