Apply for a Licence
Prior to making an application, all operators should consult the Authority’s Guidelines.
Before making an application you will require:
- A valid Tax Clearance Certificate, as issued by the Revenue Commissioners
- A valid Road Passenger Transport Operators Licence or a valid European Community Licence, both of which are issued by the Department of Transport
It is also in your interest to provide in your application to the Authority as much detailed information as you can about the service you intend to provide e.g.
- the market it will serve;
- how it will add value for public transport users;
- any information you have regarding the number of potential passengers. To demonstrate that there is demand for your proposed service you should include any documentation, such as passenger questionnaires, evidence of new or expanding passenger pools (e.g. businesses, universities, shopping centre, housing estates) along the proposed route, requests from local businesses etc. which support your application;
- how it differs from the existing public transport services and
- information about your vehicle(s) or services’ accessibility to people with disabilities.
To make a complete and valid application for a new public bus passenger service Licence you must supply the following:
- A completed application form, signed and dated
- The appropriate fee
- A copy of your valid Tax Clearance Certificate
- A complete timetable for proposed service – ALL stops must be listed on the timetable
- A complete map of the proposed route
- Maps clearly showing each individual stop (if they are Dublin Bus or Bus Éireann stops, please note the stop number, if available, on the timetable)
- Complete fare table
Note on the mapping requirements:
The maps submitted with your application should enable the Authority to follow the route used by the service at all times, outbound and return. If necessary, please provide a textual description of the route if detailed maps cannot be provided. Use of online maps such as Osi.ie, GoogleMaps, BingMaps etc. is acceptable as part of an application.
You may also include any of the following documentation. Inclusion at application stage will greatly speed up the process as if the Licence is offered they may be required later in the process if not submitted:
- Stop approval from either the land owner or the relevant road authority for every stop where passengers board or alight the bus
- A copy of a valid Insurance for all vehicles proposed to operate the service
- A copy of a valid PSV for all vehicles proposed to operate the service
- Vehicle livery description (a photograph is sufficient)
- A copy of a the Certificate of Roadworthiness for all vehicles proposed to operate the service
When can I start?
Where an application for a licence or an amendment is made, you must wait for the licence or licence amendment to be granted by the Authority before you start.
The existence of an application for a new licence or an application to amend an existing licence does not confer any rights to provide the public bus passenger service while the application is under consideration by the Authority. This would be in contravention of the PTR Act, 2009.
In other words, you cannot commence a public bus passenger service or change the licensed service you already provide without a licence being granted by the Authority.
If an offer for a licence is made, you still have to provide a few documents before you can start. An offer is not a licence. What is offered to you by the Authority may be different to what you have applied for. This will be explained to you at this stage (e.g. offered timetable). Acceptance of an offer must be in writing. An offer is indicative and not legally binding as the granting of a licence is conditional on receipt of any outstanding documentation and/ or payments which will be notified to the applicant.
Please see the Authority’s Guidelines for the Licensing of Public Bus Passenger Services and the Brief Guide Public Bus Passenger Services for more information.
The Application Form is available to view and download here.