In January 2023, the Greater Dublin Area (GDA) Cycle Network Plan, consisting of the Urban Network, Inter-Urban Network and Green Route Network for each of the seven Local Authority areas comprising the GDA was adopted as part of the GDA Transport Strategy 2022-2042. The counties covered by this plan includes:
- Dublin City Council (DCC)
- South Dublin County Council (SDCC)
- Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council (DLRCC)
- Fingal County Council (FCC)
- Meath County Council (MCC)
- Kildare County Council (KCC)
- Wicklow County Council (WCC)
The Cycle Network Plan identified and determined in a consistent, clear and logical manner, the following cycle networks within the GDA:
- The Urban Cycle Network at the Primary, Secondary and Feeder level;
- The Inter-Urban Cycle Network, linking the relevant sections of the Urban Network and including the elements of the National Cycle Network within the GDA. The Inter-Urban Network also includes linkages to key transport locations outside of urban areas such as airports and ports; and
- The Green Route Network that are cycle routes developed predominately for tourist, recreational and leisure purposes.
The Cycle Network Plan is consistent across county boundaries in the GDA, such that there is continuity of route networks across these administrative boundaries.