Please Note: The NTA published a draft updated GDA Cycle Network Plan for consultation in 2021 as part of the review of the Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy. Arising out of that consultation exercise, the Draft Strategy and Cycle Network has been amended by the NTA and submitted to the Minister for Transport for his consideration in accordance with the Dublin Transport Authority Act.
The DRAFT Plan and accompanying documents can be found here.
In 2013, the NTA published the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan, consisting of the Urban Network, Inter-Urban Network and Green Route Network for each of the seven Local Authority areas comprising the Greater Dublin Area (GDA):
- Dublin City Council (DCC)
- South Dublin County Council (SDCC)
- Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council (DLRCC)
- Fingal County Council (FCC)
- Meath County Council (MCC)
- Kildare County Council (KCC)
- Wicklow County Council (WCC)
The Cycle Network Plan identified and determined in a consistent, clear and logical manner, the following cycle networks within the GDA:
- The Urban Cycle Network at the Primary, Secondary and Feeder level;
- The Inter-Urban Cycle Network, linking the relevant sections of the Urban Network and including the elements of the National Cycle Network within the GDA. The Inter-Urban Network also includes linkages to key transport locations outside of urban areas such as airports and ports; and
- The Green Route Network that are cycle routes developed predominately for tourist, recreational and leisure purposes.
Unlike other area-based plans prepared previously by Local Authorities, the Cycle Network Plan is consistent across county boundaries in the GDA, such that there is continuity of route networks across these administrative boundaries. The combination of the seven Cycle Network Plans for the seven Local Authority areas is referred to as the GDA Cycle Network. Any reference in the plan to the GDA Cycle Network is deemed to include the Cycle Network Plan for each of the above local authority areas, unless the context requires otherwise.
The Cycle Network Plan for each Local Authority area is intended to be developed in accordance with the process set out in the National Cycle Manual, and also in accordance with best industry practice.
Please click on the links below to access the GDA Cycle Network Plan Written Report, associated network maps and environmental documentation. An Irish Language version of the Written Report is also available to view here.
- Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan Written Report
- Existing Facilities Maps
- Cycling Demand Maps
- Overall Network
- Proposed Network Dublin
- Proposed Network Towns
- Proposed Network Rural
- GDACNP – SEA Statement
- GDACNP – SEA Environmental Report
- GDACNP – SEA Environmental Report Non-Technical Summary
- GDACNP – SEA Environmental Report Appendices and Maps
- GDACNP – Appropriate Assessment Screening Report
- GDACNP – Appropriate Assessment Natura Impact Statement
The Irish version and accompanying documents can be found here.