SPSV driver licences are granted only to people who:
– Hold an Irish driving licence or a driving licence from another EU, EEA or other recognised state.
– Show that their tax affairs are up to date by producing a current tax clearance certificate.
– Pass the SPSV Entry Test and obtain the SPSV Skills Development Certificate. (applicants for local area hackney driver licences are not required to take the SPSV Entry Test)
– Are considered by An Garda Síochána to be suitable persons to hold SPSV driver licences.
– Local area hackney driver licences are granted only to persons who already hold a local area hackney (vehicle) licence.
Important Information on Driving Licences
You will be required to include with your application a certified stamped letter from the relevant Embassy stating the licence is true and valid. (Alternatively, you may be entitled to exchange your driving licence for a full Irish driving licence – contact the Authority’s industry information line (0761 064000) for further information.)
You must hold a full Irish driving licence – Class B or higher, free from disqualification and free from endorsement (including penalty points) – or an equivalent licence from an EU or EEA Member State or another recognised state.
If your licence is in a language other than English or Irish, and it is either:
- An EU licence issued prior to 19th January 2013, or
- Issued by an EEA Member State or other recognised state