Welcome to LocalHackney.ie
The Local Hackney Pilot
*** Note the closing date for receipt of applications for this Pilot was the 28th February 2023. We are currently processing applications received and all applicants will be contacted directly ***
The Local Hackney Pilot is a grant aided pilot programme that aims to assist in the provision of part-time local hackney services in designated rural areas which cannot support a full time taxi or hackney operation. One critical feature of this special limited licence is that no Local Hackney service may replace or displace any standard taxi or hackney service already operating and providing services in any area.
The key element of this service is that it will benefit the community by providing licenced, insured, economic transport by Garda vetted drivers in local areas. A Local Hackney may only pick up passengers within a designated area of about 7 – 10km from a chosen point, normally the residence of the licenced driver. The drop off point has no restrictions, with trips to healthcare facilities and transport hubs further afield anticipated. However, the Local Hackney may not pick up a new fare at the drop off point or any other point outside its designated area shown on the vehicle licence and area map, which must always be carried in the vehicle.
Like any hackney service, a Local Hackney may only be operated on a pre-booked basis and any fare must be agreed in advance by the driver and the hirer, who is normally the passenger. The Local Hackney Pilot grant aid is designed to contribute towards the fixed costs associated with providing this part-time service. Up to €6,000 will be payable over one year, in equal monthly instalments, where the service provider can show that the services are being used and that the Local Hackney is of benefit to the community. We will provide sample Journey Record Forms and engage in spot checks in this regard.
The areas included in the Local Hackney Pilot are:
|Carna||Contae na Gaillimhe (Galway)|
If you are interested in providing this service to your community, there is a simple two stage application process.
Stage 1 Application
Read the Local Hackney Pilot Information Guide, available here and check your motor insurance options for providing the services. You can also contact us on 0818 064 000 to find out more.
When you are confident that you will be able to complete both the vehicle and driver licensing processes, submit the fully completed Local Hackney Pilot Application form for your area. Click here to download and print the form. The final acceptance date for this Pilot is 28 February 2023. However, please note, each application will be assessed at the time of receipt and an applicant may be invited to move forward to Stage 2 Licensing at any time. If that applicant does not complete the licensing process, we will invite the next successful applicant on the list.
Stage 2 Licensing
Each successful applicant will be guided through the Local Hackney licensing process to obtain a local hackney vehicle licence and local hackney driver licence. After this, Local Hackney services can start immediately. Two separate licences are legally required to operate a local area hackney service:
- A local area hackney vehicle licence (€50) issued by NTA for a suitable, appropriately insured vehicle; and
- A local area hackney driver’s licence (€20) issued by An Garda Síochána for a driver who has been assessed and found suitable to provide the service.
Please read the relevant guide, highlighted in each category below, to investigate whether your vehicle is suitable to be a Local Hackney and whether you can get insurance cover for the provision of services under this Local Hackney Pilot before you apply. If your application is successful, you have 30 working days to obtain both licences, so preparation is crucial.
Local Hackney Details
To be a part of the Local Hackney Pilot, you must:
• be resident in, or in close proximity to, one of the areas designated;
• provide a suitable, insured vehicle, less than 10 years old, with a recent NCT certificate;
• provide confirmation from Revenue that your tax affairs are in order – an eTax Clearance Certificate;
• obtain a local area hackney driver’s licence;
• demonstrate that you understand the transport needs of your community and explain how you will help to fulfil those needs;
• commit to provide Local Hackney service regularly for day to day activities and community events for 40 weeks of the year; and
• provide this local service for a minimum number of hours weekly. Friday and Saturday nights must be included.
• Read the documents available below and check your insurance options.
• When you are confident that you will be able to complete both the vehicle and driver licensing processes within 30 working days, submit the completed Local Hackney Pilot Application form to NTA. The final acceptance date for receipt of applications is 28 February 2023.
• One successful applicant will be chosen for each designated area of operation.
• If successful, complete the Local Area Hackney driver and vehicle licensing forms and processes:
• Pass the NTA Vehicle Initial Suitability Test and be issued a with local area hackney vehicle licence.
• Complete Garda vetting and assessment to be issued a local area hackney driver licence.
• Start providing the local area hackney service for your community, keeping the appropriate records to allow your grant to be processed monthly.
NTA has the Suitable Vehicle List, which lists vehicles which are suitable for use as a local area hackney. Check that your proposed vehicle is on this list. If you are unsure, email details of the proposed vehicle to firstname.lastname@example.org and guidance will be provided.
At a minimum the vehicle must:
• be less than 10 years old;
• have a minimum of four doors;
• have a valid NCT roadworthiness certificate – irrespective of age (unlike a private car);
• have fully clear windows – privacy/tinted glass is not permitted for safety reasons;
• carry the required safety equipment; and
• be insured to carry passengers for hire/reward (SPSV insurance).
When you are confident that your vehicle will pass the NTA Initial Suitability Test, submit the Local Hackney vehicle licence application form to NTA with the €50 licence application fee (bank draft or postal order made payable to NTA).
If your application has been successfully assessed, including NTA checking your tax clearance status with Revenue, we will send you a provisional vehicle licence number. With that you will also receive detailed instructions on how to complete the vehicle licensing process, including arranging the vehicle inspection.
In order to be issued with a Local Area Hackney Driver Licence, the applicant must pass An Garda
Síochána Assessment and Vetting. The process is as follows:
• NTA will provide you with a copy of the SPSV Driver Licence application form ((‘PSV15’).
Complete and submit the form to NTA along with a bank draft or postal order for the local area hackney driver licence fee of €20, along with the following:
o two identical passport-style photographs
o Your tax clearance access number;
o Your standard driving licence.
An Garda Síochána will commence their vetting process and contact you for further information, if required, or provide you with your local area hackney driver’s licence for the designated passenger pickup area.
An Garda Síochána will post the paper licence to you, and also inform NTA who in turn will produce your driver identification cards and the map of your designated passenger pickup area.
Having received both of the above licences, you may start providing this vital transport service for your community.
NTA will provide you with a blank Journey Record Form and also ask you to provide details of your nominated bank account.
By the 5th working day of each month for the duration of the programme, you must submit your completed Journey Record Form to NTA.
Compliance with the terms and conditions of this Local Hackney Pilot will be monitored to confirm that the required service is being provided. Where the Terms and Conditions have been met, NTA will issue a monthly payment of the associated funding, directly to your bank account.