How to become a Taxi, Hackney and Limousine Driver – Get your SPSV Driver Licence
( TaxiDriver.ie )
An SPSV driver licence permits a driver to operate all categories of SPSV – taxi, hackney, and limousine.
SPSV driver licences to drive taxis, hackneys and limousines are granted to people:
- who have a pass certificate from the SPSV Driver Entry Test (see below)
- whose tax affairs are up to date (check www.Revenue.ie)
- who have held an Irish driving licence or a driving licence from another EU, EEA or other recognised state for at least 12 months, without endorsement
- who are confirmed by An Garda Síochána to be suitable persons to hold SPSV driver licences after a vetting process
There are 3 Steps in Applying for an SPSV Driver Licence:
- Book your SPSV Driver Entry Test for €90 by calling 0818 064 000, and successfully complete the test (see below)
- Pay the €250 SPSV driver licence application fee
- Complete a PSV15 application form and submit it to your local Garda PSV office
The documents to be included in your PSV15 application to An Garda Síochána include the following:
- The receipt for your driver licence application fee
- Obtain two identical passport-style photographs, each measuring approximately 10cm by 7cm, showing your head and shoulders and complying in other respects with standards for passport photographs
- Evidence that you are tax compliant (print an electronic tax clearance certificate or provide your Revenue access number from Revenue.ie)
- Your standard Irish, EU, EEA or other recognised state driving licence
- Your SPSV Driver Entry Test Certificate
- Any other documents requested by An Garda Síochána.
The SPSV Driver Entry Test costs €90 and you can choose to sit it in our centres in Dublin, Cork, Galway or Sligo at a time that is convenient to you.
The test is divided into two parts which you do on the same day,
- the Industry Knowledge Module
- and the Area Knowledge module.
The format of the test is multiple choice, i.e. you choose the right answer(s) from the four options displayed on the screen in front of you.
The Industry Knowledge Module is designed to check that you are familiar with the relevant legislation and, most importantly, that you understand good practice in the industry when you provide services to the public.
This module has 54 multiple choice questions.
The Official Manual for Operating in the SPSV Industry (downloadable in print and audio below) is the only textbook for this and all the questions come from it. No further reading is required.
The Area Knowledge Module is designed to show you know how to find your way around your chosen county.
You select your county when booking your test.
This module consists of 36 multiple choice questions relating to the county in which you wish to be licensed.
This is for you to learn by studying maps and websites; walking, cycling or driving around the county streets, noting important landmarks, transport hubs, road systems (one-way streets etc…) and so on.
You must pass both modules of this SPSV Driver Entry Test before you can apply for an SPSV driver licence.
To book your test call the SPSV Information Line on 0818 064 000.
As a new entrant to the industry, you are expected to be familiar with the content of The Official Manual for Operating in the PSV Industry, and to have a good working knowledge of the county in which you wish to be licensed.
The SPSV Entry Test is designed to verify that you know the SPSV Regulations, that you are familiar with good practice in the industry, and that you know your area. You must pass this test before you apply for an SPSV driver licence. Applicants for local area hackney driver licences are not required to take the SPSV Entry Test.
SPSV tests can be taken in one of 5 test centre locations around the country, and you can arrange to take your test at a time and location that is convenient.
Audio version of the SPSV Manual:
- The SPSV industry
- SPSV driver licensing
- Choosing a vehicle to use as an SPSV
- SPSV licensing
- Working as an SPSV operator
- Finding your way around
- Delivering customer satisfaction
- Your SPSV business
- Staying safe
- Preparing for your test