Driving Licence Requirements
Requirements for obtaining an SPSV driver licence
SPSV driver licences are granted only to people who:-
- Are confirmed by An Garda Síochána to be suitable persons to hold SPSV driver licences;
- Hold an Irish driving licence or a driving licence from another EU, EEA or other recognised state;
- Remain tax cleared with the Revenue Commissioners; and
- Pass the SPSV Entry Test and obtain the SPSV Skills Development Certificate (Exception: applicants for local area hackney driver licences are not required to pass the SPSV Entry Test.)
Irish Driving Licence Requirements
Driving licence Applicants for an SPSV driver licence must hold a full Irish driving licence – Class B or higher, free from disqualification and free from endorsement (including penalty points) – or an equivalent licence from an EU or EEA Member State or another recognised state.
If the licence is in a language other than English or Irish, and it is either:-
- An EU licence issued prior to 19th January 2013 or
- Issued by an EEA Member State or other recognised state outside the EU
The applicant is required to include with their application a certified stamped letter from the relevant Embassy stating that the licence is true and valid. Alternatively, they may be entitled to exchange their driving licence for a full Irish driving licence – please reference the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) for more information (www.ndls.ie).