Applying for an SPSV Driver Licence
An SPSV driver licence permits a driver to operate all categories of SPSV – taxi, hackney, and limousine.
SPSV driver licences are granted only to people:
- Who are confirmed by An Garda Síochána to be suitable persons to hold SPSV driver licences
- Who hold an Irish driving licence or a driving licence from another EU, EEA or other recognised state
- Whose tax affairs are up to date
- Who pass the SPSV Driver Entry Test and obtain the SPSV Skills Development Certificate (Exception: applicants for local area hackney driver licences are not required to pass the SPSV Entry Test.)
There are 3 Steps in Applying for an SPSV Driver Licence:
- Successfully complete the SPSV Driver Entry Test and receive your SPSV Skills Development Certificate
- Pay the €250 licence fee to the National Transport Authority
- Complete a PSV15 application form and submit it to your local Garda PSV office (outside Dublin) or to the Carriage Office (in Dublin)
For your application you will require the following:
- The receipt for your licence fee
- Your photographs
- Evidence that you are tax compliant
- Your driving licence
- Your SPSV Skills Development Certificate
- A written undertaking that you will not drive an SPSV for more than 11 hours on any three consecutive days
- Details of any other occupation in which you are engaged, and, if that other occupation involves driving, evidence that you have informed the employer of your intention to apply for an SPSV driver licence
- A declaration that your health does not materially affect your ability to drive an SPSV
- A declaration that you have not been convicted of any of the offences specified in section 30(3) or the Schedule to the Consolidated Taxi Regulation Acts 2013 and 2016
- Any other documents requested by An Garda Síochána.
Specialised Local Area Hackney Driver Licences
If you hold a local area hackney driver licence, you are entitled to drive only a local area hackney, and to accept passengers only in the specific area for which you are licensed. A local area hackney driver licence is valid for three years.
The application requirements are similar to those for a standard SPSV driver licence, with the following additions and exceptions:
1. You must first hold a local area hackney (vehicle) licence.
2. You must provide evidence that your application relates to the area for which the local area hackney licence was granted.
3. You are not required to pass the SPSV Driver Entry Test.
4. You may only operate within a 5-7km radius of the area for which your licence is granted .