How to become a Taxi, Hackney and Limousine Driver – Get your SPSV Driver Licence
An SPSV driver licence permits a driver to operate all categories of SPSV – taxi, hackney, and limousine.
SPSV driver licences to drive taxis, hackneys and limousines are granted to people:
- who have a pass certificate from the SPSV Driver Entry Test (see below)
- whose tax affairs are up to date (check www.Revenue.ie)
- who have held an Irish driving licence or a driving licence from another EU, EEA or other recognised state for at least 12 months
- who are confirmed by An Garda Síochána to be suitable persons to hold SPSV driver licences after a vetting process
There are 3 Steps in Applying for an SPSV Driver Licence:
- Successfully complete the SPSV Driver Entry Test (see below)
- Pay the €250 SPSV driver licence application fee
- Complete a PSV15 application form and submit it to your local Garda PSV office
The documents to be included in your PSV15 application to An Garda Síochána include the following:
- The receipt for your driver licence application fee
- Obtain two identical passport-style photographs, each measuring approximately 10cm by 7cm, showing your head and shoulders and complying in other respects with standards for passport photographs
- Evidence that you are tax compliant (print an electronic tax clearance certificate or provide your Revenue access number from Revenue.ie)
- Your standard Irish, EU, EEA or other recognised state driving licence
- Your SPSV Driver Entry Test Certificate
- Any other documents requested by An Garda Síochána.
The SPSV Driver Entry Test is made of two modules, the Industry Knowledge Module and the Area Knowledge module.
The Industry Knowledge Module is designed to verify that you know the SPSV Regulations, understand good practice in the industry and when providing services to the public. This first module consists of 54 questions relating to the content of The Official Manual for Operating in the SPSV Industry only. This is in one textbook and all questions come from the manual itself. No further reading is required.
The Area Knowledge Module is to show you know how to find your way around the county you wish to operate in. This second module consists of 36 questions relating to the county in which you wish to be licensed. You select your county when booking your test. This is for you to learn by walking, using a scooter, cycling or driving around the county streets, noting important landmarks, transport hubs, road systems (one-way streets etc…) and so forth. Studying local maps and websites will also assist the preparation for this module.
You must pass (75%) both modules of this SPSV Driver Entry Test before you apply for an SPSV driver licence.
The Official Manual for Operating in the SPSV Industry
As a new entrant to the industry, you are expected to be familiar with the content of The Official Manual for Operating in the PSV Industry, and to have a good working knowledge of the county in which you wish to be licensed.
The SPSV Entry Test is designed to verify that you know the SPSV Regulations, that you are familiar with good practice in the industry, and that you know your area. You must pass this test before you apply for an SPSV driver licence. Applicants for local area hackney driver licences are not required to take the SPSV Entry Test.
SPSV tests can be taken in one of 5 test centre locations around the country, and you can arrange to take your test at a time and location that is convenient.
Audio version of the SPSV Manual:
- The SPSV industry
- SPSV driver licensing
- Choosing a vehicle to use as an SPSV
- SPSV licensing
- Working as an SPSV operator
- Finding your way around
- Delivering customer satisfaction
- Your SPSV business
- Staying safe
- Preparing for your test