The Taxi Regulation Act 2013 (other than section 49) came into operation on 6th April 2014. Some of the key provisions of the Act are:
- The automatic disqualification of driver licence holders convicted of serious offences for specified periods extending up to lifetime disqualification.
- A prohibition on vehicle licence transfers.
- Arrangement for the nomination of a representative to whom a vehicle licence can be transferred to, in the event of the death of the licence holder.
- A declaration by driver licence applicants in relation to other employments.
- A demerits system whereby drivers accumulating eight of more demerit points will have their licence automatically suspended for three months.
- A prohibition on offering or advertising a vehicle for passenger hire without the vehicle being licensed.
- The right to appoint compliance support personnel under a service agreement arrangement.