Why your organisation is promoting more sustainable travel?
To improve staff health, reduce absenteeism and reduce travel costs
How your plan is implemented?
Through a part-time Sustainable Travel team, supported by a Steering Group and the DLRCC Bike Users Group
Is your organisation doing anything unique or inventive in the area of travel planning?
- Planning to expand the DLRCC bike fleet (of 5 bikes) by introducing electric bikes in Autumn 2011
- Looking to develop a staff travel charter, whereby employees commit to using alternative travel modes for at least one day a week. The Charter will mainly focus on cars drivers but also those who live within 5km of their workplace.
What successes have you had with your Travel Plan?
- Ongoing reduction in rented parking spaces – 32% reduction in spaces between 2009 and 2010 with 57% reduction in costs
- 139 of our 1100 staff have availed of Cycle to Work scheme (almost 13% of the workforce)
Tips for other organisations looking to undertake this work
- Get management buy in early and get management involved in events
- Regular publicity can raise awareness levels of the benefits if sustainable travel;