The National Transport Authority (NTA) is charged with devising and implementing projects to enhance people’s use of public transport and sustainable travel choices, in line with government policy.
The NTA are responsible for three public transport capital investment programmes:
- Greater Dublin Area Capital Programme
- Sustainable Transport Measures Grant
- Public Transport Accessibility Programme
While the NTA has statutory responsibility for the Greater Dublin Area Capital Programme, it manages the Sustainable Transport Measures Grant and Public Transport Accessibility Programme on behalf of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.
In the case of all three Programmes, the NTA is responsible for determining the projects to be funded and managing expenditure.
However, the necessary works are normally implemented by State agencies, transport operators and local authorities acting on behalf of the NTA.
Greater Dublin Area Capital Programme
The overall GDA Capital Programme is subdivided into four sub-programmes. These are:
- Heavy Rail Sub-programme
- Light Rail Sub-programme
- Bus/BRT Sub-programme
- Integration, Sustainable Transport Measures & Support Sub-programme
The Heavy Rail investment programme comprises funding to Irish Rail in relation to various rail projects. Details of the various heavy rail projects underway can be viewed on their website.
The Light Rail Sub-programme provides funding to Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) for the development of Luas projects. Details of the various light rail projects under the remit of the TII can be viewed on their website.
Below are some of the NTA’s ongoing major projects.
The National Transport Authority has published a number of guidance documents to assist in the management of its capital programme. These are:
- Eligible Expenditure Guidelines for Projects funded by the NTA
- Guidelines for the Management of Public Transport Investment Projects delivered by Conventional Procurement
- Guidelines for the Management of Public Transport Investment Projects delivered by Public Private Partnerships
- Project Management Guidelines for Projects funded by the National Transport Authority (up to €20 million in value)
- Cost Management Guidelines for Public Transport Investment Projects