DART+ is a transformative programme of investment which will provide a sustainable, electrified, reliable, frequent rail service significantly increasing capacity on all the rail corridors serving the Greater Dublin Area, through investment in infrastructure and a fleet of new trains.
DART+ Programme is a programme of work whose constituent projects will create a full metropolitan DART network with all lines linked and connected, and frequency and capacity of services significantly enhanced.
The key aspects of the programme are:
- New DART service to Maynooth/M3 Parkway on the Sligo Line
- New DART service to Hazelhatch & Celbridge on the Kildare Line
- Enhanced DART service to Bray / Greystones on the South-East Line
- New DART services between City Centre and Drogheda on the Northern Line
- Purchase of additional trains to support new and enhanced DART services
- Upgrade and reconfiguration of existing railway infrastructure in the city centre
- Elimination of a number of level crossings to reduce rail/road conflict that limits train capacity
- All civil and bridge works as necessary to accommodate electrification, corridor widenings and increased service level
- Upgrades to signalling and communications infrastructure to improve safety and support increase frequency and reliability
DART+ will deliver a range of benefits to communities, commuters and our economy and society, including:
- A key deliverable under the Climate Action Plan to achieving Ireland’s targets for transport
- Passenger capacity and train service frequency will be significantly increased as a result of this project.
- DART+ Programme will allow more people to make sustainable travel choices and will contribute to a reduction in emissions within Dublin while providing a reliable alternative to private cars.
- In particular, DART+ will respond to network constraints and increases in demand by utilising existing infrastructure and developing additional interchanges with other public transport modes.
- The population in Dublin and the surrounding areas is growing rapidly and the city is heavily choked with traffic. Investment is needed in public transport to sustain economic and population growth around the Greater Dublin Area.
- DART+ Programme will enhance regional heavy rail access to and from the city centre supported by increased frequencies, especially during peak hours.
For further information on this exciting programme of enhancement please visit DART+ Programme.